6.3.10

Mad Men 1.07: Red in the face

C’est dans cet épisode que Pete Campbell raconte à Peggy Olsen son «fantasme de chasse». Ce monologue est un de mes moments préférés de la première saison et vous pouvez le voir ici. Mais pour rendre hommage à ce chef d’œuvre d’écriture, je me suis donné la peine de retranscrire le texte…

PETE
You ever been hunting, Peggy?

PEGGY
No, I don’t think so.

PETE
You either have or you haven’t. I went a couple of times. With my uncle. New Hampshire.

PEGGY
I saw my cousin shoot a rabbit by Coney Island.

PETE
It’s an incredible sensation. You have to be very quiet. Take it down with the first shot or you scare it away. Then sometimes you have to go up and finish it off. Then you tie it to the bumper and go home. But do you know what I’ve always wanted to do? I would pick it up, throw its back legs over my shoulder, and I would drag it through the snow to this little cabin. And there, I’d hang it up between a couple of trees, cut it open, and drain it, dress it. Then I’d take my big hunting knife and I’d cut this loin right out the side. And I’d go into the cabin and there’d be this woman waiting for me. Standing by one of those old stoves with a big black pipe. And I’d hand it to her and she’d put it in a cast iron skillet and then I’d sit at the table. And she’d bring it to me. And I’d wipe my knife on my knee. And then I would eat it. While she watches.

PEGGY
That would be wonderful.

Elizabeth Moss, l’actrice qui joue Peggy, est absolument sensationnelle dans cette scène-là. Elle se gonfle littéralement de désir pendant que Pete raconte son histoire.

Le curieux fantasme de Pete m’a rappelé un souvenir d’enfance. Mes amis et moi, ça nous ait arrivé deux ou trois fois de jouer «à la chasse» avec ma sœur et ses amies. En gros, les filles se faisaient une maison dans la neige et nous on chassait l’orignal et on leur rapportait des blocs de neige en prétendant que c’était des quartiers de viande. Et elles cuisinaient ça.

Ça ne durait jamais longtemps parce que la chicane finissait par pogner. Mais ce n'est pas un hasard si je me rappelle de ça. Ce jeu-là avait quelque chose de spécial. Une tension particulière. Qui a sûrement un peu à voir avec ce que raconte Pete Campbell.

Aucun commentaire: